The Language Learning and Research Center (LLRC) is where technical support is available for the teaching and learning of language, literature, and culture at Stony Brook University. One of the missions of the LLRC is to initiate innovative pedagogy enhanced by technology and facilitate cross-Departmental collaboration involving language learning and teaching. The Center has a wide variety of technology for this purpose including a portable Interactive Whiteboard (Smartboard), langugae learning software programs and multimedia classrooms. It also has a Stony Brook Instructional Network Computing (SINC) site open for university usage.
What Can Instructors Do in the LLRC?
- Reserve multimedia classrooms, A/V and computer labs for teaching academic courses and/or holding special training sessions.
- Check out instructional materials (software, textbooks, reference books, audio and video tapes, DVDs, laserdiscs, etc.) and equipment (audio/video/DVD players/recorders, PC/Mac laptops, headphones, cameras, tripods, overhead, slide and digital projectors, etc.) for on/off LLRC use.
- Request training on specific software, computer applications or equipment. Recommend purchase of specific materials or equipment.
- Prepare instructional materials using our facilities, materials, and equipment. Convert or duplicate audio-video materials with copyright permission.
- Put materials on reserve for students.
What Can Students Do in the LLRC?
- Check out materials (software, textbooks, reference books, audio and video tapes, DVDs, laserdiscs, etc.) and A/V equipment (headphones, players/recorders, cameras, etc.) to use in the LLRC.
- Complete assignments: Listen to tapes, watch videos (DVD, VHS, laserdiscs); audio/video record themselves.
- Develop multimedia projects: Use computers, printers and scanners and other technology for preparing assignments and going on-line (research, Blackboard, audio/video conference, etc.).
- Use a wide variety of language software (Pronunciation Power, American Accent Program, 3D Grammar, Focus on Grammar, Kontakte, Spanish Today, French Pronunciation, Writer's Work Bench, Visual Thesaurus, Tell Me More, etc.).